Today i am bringing you guys an amazing fusion dish. Fusion cooking is a delight! It creates magic and is fairly easy to do. When we combine a number of cuisines in one meal, we get a delicious combination of new tastes and flavors. Here is the recipe of an indo-italian chicken tikka pizza.
I actually don’t like the usual pizza sauce, maybe because i am a tomato-phobic kinda person. But i saw this particular recipe in Shumaila’s blog, novicehousewife and i couldnt resist. It sounded AH-mazing!…and it sure was! It was “love at first bite”!
The speciality in this recipe is the pizza sauce. This homemade pizza sauce has soo much more flavor than the usual sauce, especially the indian flavors which i love. The main ingredients which give this sauce the indian touch are, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and zeera (cumin). The red chilli powder gives that extra oomph to the sauce.
If you ask me if what makes a good pizza, i would definitely say that it is the sauce. I will overlook a ‘meh’ crust if the sauce is good. Yeah, but of course, i would prefer when both the crust and sauce are amazing, but the highlight of a pizza for me is definitely its sauce. And this sauce is just ‘magical perfection’.
Talking about the crust, i prefer thin crust pizza over a thick chewy one. And this recipe gives you the perrrfect crust. The best part is that it is super easy. Hope you guys give this recipe a try.
Recipe courtesy: Shumaila of novicehousewife PIZZA DOUGH: Yields 3 21/4 cup flour (chilled) 3/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp yeast 1/8 cup (half of 1/4 cup) olive oil 3/4 cup ice cold water
1. Stir together flour, salt and yeast in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
2. Stir in oil,and water until flour is all absorbed.
3. Knead for about 5-7 minutes till you get a smooth, sticky dough. If the dough is very dry add few more drops of water. The dough will stick a little in the bottom, but not on the sides.
4. Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough there.
5. Cut the dough into 3 equal portions. 6. Sprinkle flour over dough and make rounds and place in the pizza pan.
7. Put the pan into the refrigerator overnight to rest the dough, or keep for up to 3 days.
440 gm chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup yogurt, whisked
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 heaping tsp roasted cumin powder ½ tsp garam masala
1½ tsp red chilli powder
salt, to taste
1 tsp vegetable oil)
1 tbsp gram flour (besan)
1½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp onion powder
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with all the above mentioned ingredients and keep overnight or atleast for 4 hours. Broil on high for 8-10 minutes, turning once over. Or grill the chicken. I shallow fried it in a pan till cooked and gets a coating on the chicken. Once cooled shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
2 tbsp butter
2 inch stick cinnamon
3-4 green cardamoms, crushed slightly 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) 1½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
salt, to taste
2 tsp red chilli powder
One 340 gram can tomato paste
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tbsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
1 cup water
1. Heat butter in a pan. Add in the cinnamon, cardamom, fenugreek seeds and let it splutter.
2. When the aroma comes, add in the ginger garlic paste, chilli powder,and saute the paste for few seconds.
3. Add in the green chillies, tomato paste, salt and fry for few minutes. Add in water and cumin powder. Cook till oil separates. Take off heat and let it cool.
1. Two hours before you are ready to bake your pizza, remove your pizza dough balls from the refrigerator. And let rest on a lightly floured surface for about 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400F. Dust your sheet pan or peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. You need not do this if you are using a proper pizza pan.
3. Roll out your pizza dough. Place it on the pan. Add some melted butter or olive oil on top of your rolled out pizza. Spread 2-3 tbsp of pizza sauce. 4. Top generously with the chicken tikka. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and crust has cooked. Sprinkle chopped coriander or mint leaves.
✔️ If you want to store the extra pizza dough for future use, just oil the dough ball all around and put each ball into separate zippered freezer bag. You can freeze this way for about 3 months. The day before you plan on using them, just transfer the dough to the refrigerator. And on the day of usage, remove from fridge, place on a floured counter and gently press the ball into 1/2 inch thickness and let rise for 2 hours.
✔️ The crust cooks really fast. Mine actually took just 7 minutes. Do not over cook or your crust will become hard. By the time the cheese melts, the crust will get cooked. Even then just check before taking out.
✔️ This recipe makes about 11/2 cups of pizza sauce, I often have a bit leftover for during the week if I want to make pizza pinwheels or homemade pizza rolls. Sometimes, I place the extra sauce in sterilized jars and freeze it until i need it next. I just let it thaw in the refrigerator when i know i am going to need it.
✔️You wont require much time in the kitchen if you prepare the dough and marinate the chicken the night before. The next day, you will just have to grill the chicken, and thaw the dough for 2 hours and assemble the pizza.
Lets go to Angies fiesta friday with this dish. Im sure all will enjoy this dish. :)