Ramadan is coming to an end and so is my ramadan recipes series. I am closing this series with my all-time favorite appetizer, mozzarella cheese sticks. The cheesy gooey goodness inside a cruchy, crispy coating….whoaaa…irresistible!
These are very simple to make and takes verrry less prepation time. I already had a seasoned flour mixture ready which was a left over from the blooming onion recipe. So i prepared these sticks in no time.
I have used the japanese style panko breadcrumbs for this. If you haven’t used this before, let me warn you that you might become addicted to this stuff. You can use it in many different dishes, in place of the usual breadcrumbs and be prepared for that extraordinary crunch.
- 5 pieces string cheese
- Oil for deep frying
For the flour mixture:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper/ red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
✔️ If you cant get string cheese, just cut up the block mozzarella cheese into sticks and use.
✔️ You should be very careful when frying the cheese sticks as there is high chance that the cheese will melt and ooze out into the oil and create a mess. It only takes few minutes to fry them. Just when the breadcrumbs get that light golden color, take them out. Don’t keep in the oil for long.
✔️ The freezing step is important as this will help them stay together better and when its time to fry, it will keep the mozzarella from melting too quickly from the hot oil.
✔️ Fry these sticks in batches, do not overcrowd the oil.
✔️ Serve these warm or else the cheese won’t ooze out and will be hardened.
✔️ You can double dip the cheese in egg and breadcrumbs to make sure that the cheese stick will stay together.
- Unwraps cheese sticks from pack and cut them in half.
- Mix all the ingredients for flour mixture in a bowl
- In another bowl beat egg in milk and keep aside.
- In a third bowl, mix all the ingredients for breading.
- First dip the cheese sticks in flour, then egg and then finally breadcrumbs.
- Freeze these prepared sticks for 20-30 mins.
- Heat oil for deep frying on medium high flame.
- Deep fry and serve warm.