Flaky Puff pastry wrapped around beef meatball along with a spicy sauce, jalapeño and mozzarella cheese.
I am always on a look out for super easy recipes nowadays as you can imagine how it would be with three kids, 6 and under. I do meal plan and prep every Saturday for the entire week, which seems to work well. With this new routine I do have some extra time to concentrate on my blog.
But since Ramadan started it has been a little trickier me for to plan meals as now I have to think of 4 meals a day. Even though we don’t need breakfast and lunch, I have to think of something for the kids. So I try to keep Iftar (evening meal with which we end the fast) simple. That’s how I came up with this idea of meatball puffs.
I made it using frozen puff pastry, frozen meatballs and a simple spicy cheese sauce recipe which my super-chef sister, Sabeena shared with me. I fried the meatballs in my favorite gadget in the kitchen, the Air-Fryer and wrapped it with puff pastry along with the sauce and other simple fixings. I then baked the pastries in the air-fryer again and that’s it. It tasted amazing.
If you do not want to use frozen meatballs, you can make it from scratch. Here is a very yummy chicken meatball recipe which I posted a while back. Hope you will give this recipe a try. Enjoy! 🙂
Meatball Puff with Spicy Cheese Sauce
- Frozen Meatballs (cooked in a pan or airfried) I used Americana brand
- Puff Pastry Sheets
- Pickled jalapeños
- Mozzarella cheese (it would better to use cheese slice than shredded)
- Spicy cheese sauce (recipe below)
- Spicy chilli flakes sauce (recipe below) (optional)
For the spicy cheese sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- salt to taste
To make the Spicy Chilli Flakes Sauce:
- 7-8 dried red chillies
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
To make Spicy Cheese Sauce:
- In a pan, add butter.
- Once it heats up, add flour. Cook for a minute stirring continuously.
- Pour milk little by little whisking continuosly until there are no lumps. Cook on low for a minute.
- Drop in the cheddar cheese and mix well until the cheese gets melted. The sauce is ready.
- Add chilli powder, paprika powder and salt.
- Place the puff pastry on a plate. I used the mini puff pastry squares. If you are using a bigger one, cut it into small cubes. (But large enough to fit in the meatballs)
- Add in a tbsp of cheese sauce.
- Place meatball on it.
- Add jalapenos. ( I added in few of them and it tasted really good)
- Add a little bit of the spicy red chilli sauce.
- Put mozzarella cheese. (cheese slice would be better)
- Close the puff pastry by closing and pinching all four sides. Roll it into a ball.
- Bake it in an air-fryer or preheated 180C oven by placing the seamed side down.
- Serve immediately with the red chilli sauce.
To make Red Chilli Sauce:
- Add dried red chillies, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, salt and water if needed into a grinder jar.
- Grind it well.
- Pour a tbsp of olive oil to it.