A very tasty African Doughnuts that is crunchy on the outside but pillowy soft on the inside. These bite sized treats are sure to win the hearts of kids and grown ups alike.
We are obsessed with these doughnuts. I warn you, when you know how easy it is to make these doughnuts you’ll be finding excuses to make them often. For better or for worse, these pillowy soft doughnuts can be made from scratch in 15 minutes.
Last week I was planning to make something called bake appam or vettu cake for the kids (mainly for me😄) to snack on. That is a traditional Kerala snack item which required kneading and cutting and all that. So I was lazy. But since I thought of doing it, I searched through Pinterest for other bite sized snacks and I found these African Drop Doughnuts recipe by Immaculate Bites.
There were lots of people’s tried pictures of this and it all looked perfect. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn’t require any kneading and proofing like traditional doughnuts. These doughnuts come together in 15 minutes time. Isn’t that great?! And the taste was extremely good. My kids couldn’t get enough of it. Do try it out. 👍🏻
African Drop Doughnuts
- 2 ¼ cups All purpose flour
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- ½ Cup Granulated sugar
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Orange/lemon zest
- ½ Cup Milk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Oil/melted butter
- Oil For deep frying
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder,salt, sugar and orange zest.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and oil and mix well until everything is combined. You should get a smooth and thick mixture.
- In a pan, pour vegetable oil for deep frying. The flame should be on medium.
- Drop in small balls of batter with your hand into the oil. Or else use two spoons to drop the batter. One to scoop up the batter and the other to drop it in the oil. Make sure that you dont overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for few minutes, turning the balls in between until the ball is brown in color all over.
- Take it out of the oil and place them in a paper napkin to remove excess oil.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar all over the balls.