A very flavorful pizza with chicken tikka and an Indian flavored pizza sauce. This homemade pizza sauce has soo much more flavor than the usual sauce, especially the Indian flavors which I love. The main ingredients which gives this sauce the Indian touch are, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and zeera (cumin). It is soo good.
Today I am bringing you guys an amazing fusion dish. Fusion cooking is a delight! It creates magic and is fairly easy to do. When we combine a number of cuisines in one meal, we get a delicious combination of new tastes and flavors. Here is the recipe of an Indo-Italian chicken tikka pizza.I actually don’t like the usual pizza sauce, maybe because I am a tomato-phobic kinda person. But I saw this particular recipe in Shumaila’s blog, novicehousewife and couldn’t resist. It sounded amazing and it sure was! It was “love at first bite”!
The speciality in this recipe is the pizza sauce. This homemade pizza sauce has soo much more flavor than the usual sauce, especially the indian flavors which I love. The main ingredients which gives this sauce the Indian touch are, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and zeera (cumin). The red chilli powder gives that extra oomph to the sauce.
If you ask me if what makes a good pizza, I would definitely say that it is the sauce. I will overlook a ‘meh’ crust if the sauce is good. Yeah, but of course, I would prefer when both the crust and sauce are amazing, but the highlight of a pizza for me is definitely its sauce. And this sauce is just ‘magical perfection’. Talking about the crust, I prefer thin crust pizza over a thick chewy one. And this recipe gives you the perrrfect crust. The best part is that it is super easy. Hope you guys give this recipe a try.
Recipe courtesy: Shumaila of novicehousewife
Chicken Tikka Pizza
- Yields 3
- 21/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Warm water
- 440 grams chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup yogurt whisked
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1½ tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp gram flour besan
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 inch stick cinnamon
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 2 Tsp Ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 340 grams tomato paste
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 cup water
- Stir together flour, salt and yeast in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in oil,and water until flour is all absorbed.
- Knead for about 5-7 minutes till you get a smooth, sticky dough. If the dough is very dry add few more drops of water. The dough will stick a little in the bottom, but not on the sides.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough there.
- Cut the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Place one dough ball in the pizza pan and spread it with your hands.
For Chicken Tikka
- Marinate the chicken pieces with all the above mentioned ingredients and keep overnight or atleast for 4 hours. Broil on high for 8-10 minutes, turning once over. Or grill the chicken. I shallow fried it in a pan till cooked and gets a coating on the chicken. Once cooled shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
For Pizza Sauce
- Heat butter in a pan. Add in the cinnamon and cardamom and let it splutter.
- When the aroma comes, add in the ginger garlic paste, chilli powder,and saute the paste for few seconds.
- Add in the green chillies, tomato paste, salt and fry for few minutes. Add in water and cumin powder. Cook till oil separates. Take off heat and let it cool.
- Place one dough ball in the pizza pan and roll out your pizza dough with your hands
- Preheat oven to 400F. Dust your sheet pan or peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. You need not do this if you are using a proper pizza pan.
- Add some melted butter or olive oil on top of your rolled out pizza. Spread 2-3 tbsp of pizza sauce.
- Top generously with the chicken tikka. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
- Add sliced onion on top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and crust has cooked. Sprinkle chopped coriander or mint leaves.
✔️ The crust cooks really fast. Mine actually took just 7 minutes. Do not over cook or your crust will become hard. By the time the cheese melts, the crust will get cooked. Even then just check before taking out.
✔️ This recipe makes about 11/2 cups of pizza sauce, I often have a bit leftover for during the week if I want to make pizza pinwheels or homemade pizza rolls. Sometimes, I place the extra sauce in sterilized jars and freeze it until i need it next. I just let it thaw in the refrigerator when i know i am going to need it.
✔️You wont require much time in the kitchen if you prepare the dough and marinate the chicken the night before. The next day, you will just have to grill the chicken, and thaw the dough for 2 hours and assemble the pizza.