Firstly, let me inform you that this is not the Chinese version of chilli chicken, instead this is CHICKEN CHILLI! Confused? 😀 This is a spicy dry dish made of shredded fried chicken with a rich and spicy onion tomato masala. This is an Indian version….to be precise..Kerala version 🙂
You can find this type of shredded chicken chilli in almost all malayalee restaurants. 🙂 I love this type of chicken preparation, used to order this at home frequently when I was a child. Have this spicy chicken with soft, hot and flaky malabar porotta and you will absolutely, definitely looove it. But it goes pretty well with chappathi, naan and puri too.
I got this recipe from my mom-in-law. My husband and his brothers love this dish a lot. They keep talking about this chicken chilli. No wonder! even I felt like clapping my hands in glee after tasting this dish. Exactly like the ones we get from those restaurants. Did you make easy 5 ingredient chicken masala ? That is a yummy contribution from my mom-in-law too. 🙂
So here goes the recipe for you. Hope you all like it 🙂
- 1 full chicken cut into medium size pieces
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 medium sized onions sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 large sized tomatoes chopped
- coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 5-6 tbsp oil
- Do not shred the chicken very fine. You just have to pull the meat apart from the bones. Let some pieces of meat be there on the bone.
- Marinate the chicken in red chilli powder,turmeric powder and salt.
- Shallow fry the chicken till chicken is nice;y cooked and charred on outside.
- Take out the chicken and shred it. (read notes)
- In the same oil in which you fried the chicken, sauté the onions and green chillies till the onions are soft and slightly brown in colour.
- Add in ginger and garlic paste. Cook for few minutes.
- Add in chopped tomatoes. Cook or 10- 15 minutes till the tomatoes are nicely mashed and cooked through. Add salt.
- Add in the coriander leaves.
- Add in the chicken pieces along with the bones. Mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with malabar porotta, chappathi, naan or puri.