GULAB JAMUN CHEESECAKE, an Indian cheesecake made with paneer, hung yoghurt and gulab jamun.
Did you ever have a craving for Gulab Jamun and Cheesecake at the same time? Well, this one is for you then :).
- 2 1/2 cups powdered Digestive Biscuits/graham crackers
- 140g butter
- 1/4 cup Cashew chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Paneer crumbled
- 3/4th of a 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Hung Yoghurt
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1 tbsp Gelatin
- 1/4 cup warm water
- A pinch of saffron
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 15 Gulab jamun
- Ground Pistachios for garnish
- Make sure to strain the gelatine before adding it to the paneer mix.
- Check for the sweetness and add more or less of condensed milk according to your preference.
- If you don’t like the taste or smell of saffron, omit it.
- Do not use the yoghurt as it is. Hang the yoghurt in a muslin cloth or put it in a strainer overnight in the refrigerator and then use the thick yoghurt.
- If your paneer is frozen, just heat it in the microwave oven till it is soft and then crumble it.
- In a medium bowl, combine the biscuit crumbs and cashews. Stir in the melted butter and mix until well-combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and 1- or 2-inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Refrigerate until the filling is ready.
To make cheesecake mixture:
- In your blender, blend together the paneer, condensed milk, hung yoghurt and cream. Blend well until smooth.
- Meanwhile, take some saffron in a glass and pour in milk. Microwave it for about 20 seconds. Let it cool. Also in a small bowl add in gelatine and warm water. Mix. Microwave this also for about 30 seconds till it is well dissolved. Let that cool slightly.
- Pour the paneer mix into a large bowl. Add in the saffron, cardamom powder and gelatine. Make sure that you pour the gelatine through a strainer. Mix well.
- Take out the biscuit base from the refrigerator, place a layer of gulab jamun. If the gulab jamuns are big, then cut it into half. Pour the paneer mix over this. Refrigerate for 4 hours minimum.
- Garnish with pistachios.